28 April 2009

Small = Big

A couple of months ago, I received an email from one of my friends. And these are the pictures from the email but in case there maybe some copyright issues here is the website that it originated from. (source: www.kiroastro.com/writings/perspective)

Wooh...Mother Earth look pretty
Jupiter look like a bowling ball while Earth look like a ball of blue tackNow, Earth is nothing but a Pi-Sai (Direct translation: nose shit)
So now the Sun become the nose shit
Now Sun is just a speck of dust
.
So, how big can human be?
.
How big can your problem be? And for those elitist out there, how mighty can you be?
.
After attending the Physics tea session, the Professors there make me feel so small. There are so many thing that I don't understand. The Professors themselves are also small. Their knowledge is vast compared to mine, but they do understand that their knowledge is insignificant when compared to what the Universe has to offer.
.
On the side note....
.
How stupid am I when I wasted my time on being sad and angry at my situation?
How ignorant am I to think that my problems are the most complicated and important issue?
.
That is why when people say that Physics is reaching its end, Physicists will reject the claim. We all know that the speed of light is 299792458 m/s, but who can tell us why this combination is the chosen speed for light? Why the charge of electron is 1.60217646 × 10-19 coulombs? and this are only just some of the unknown.
.
Physics is the fundamental of all Sciences. Ernest Rutherford once said "All Science is either Physics or stamp collecting". When Lord Rutherford was awarded the Nobel prize in Chemistry in 1908, he wasn't very pleased. He believe Chemistry is just another stamp collection, so he actually won a Nobel prize in stamp collection.
.
Some people may argue that Physics always produce unpractical answers and findings. But without all those unpractical and ideal research, will other branch of Sciences be developed? How are you going to create a wonderful engineering product without having the basic and fundamental knowledge?
.
When Sir Isaac Newton first discovered gravity and derived the Universal Law of Gravitation, lots of people will have questioned the usefulness of that discovery. But now, we are using his law to help us solve tons of situation. Will the engineer be able to create a space shuttle if there is no such law derived decades ago?
.
So back to the question. How big can we be?
.
I will say we can be bigger than Universe.
.
When the tiny puny KianSoon admit that he is insignificant, he is on the way to be bigger than the Universe. By accepting this fact, we open up our mind and heart to contain more knowledge of the Universe. When we feel insignificant, we will strive to learn more, understand more and be more accepting. This is the ability that Homo Sapien possesses to enable us to improve constantly.
.
And when you think that you are Great and Powerful. You will stop learning. You will feel that the whole Universe spin around you. You will start to despise those that you feel is weaker than you. You are living in your own imaginary world, living by your own laws and rules. You will be stucked there forever, for you have failed to accept more of the Universe. You have forgotten that you are insignificant.
.
For those elitist, it's time to accept others. If you can't even accept fellow human beings, how are you going to contain the Universe in you? Can you imagine how disgusted I am when some "self-declared" elite praised themselves and start to crack jokes on those they classified as "lower status"? I'm disgusted not by their snobbish and disrespectful comments, but rather on how and why they feel they are more superior and clever they are when they are apparently not.
.
Remember...
No one is indispensable.
The world can do without any of us.
.
Coming August, I will start the quest to accept as much knowledge as possible. By learning
Physics, I will try to understand and decipher the Universe from the fundamental.
.
It's only when I have totally understand every single system and "Why?" that the Universe presented to us, I am containing the whole Universe.
.
It's only then, I will stop learning....
.
It's only then, I tell people I'm strong....
.
It's only then...
.
I HAVE THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IN MY HAND
I AM BIGGER THAN THE UNIVERSE
.
KiloSierra - Insignificant

No comments: