23 April 2009

Singapore Youth Festival 2009


Yesterday, I went to support my alma mater's Chinese Orchestra for the 2009 SYF central judging. After helping my Dizi juniors'preparation in WGS, we make our way down to the judging venue, the same old Singapore Conference Hall.

Although the school have reserve 10 tickets for the alumni, we still queue up to get additional ticket for those who are unable to queue for the ticket with proper reasons (overslept is definitely not one of the reason). So given the strength of our alumni, I guess half of the tickets given out is taken by WGSCO alumni.
I guess we are also the only school during that session to bring such a large group of alumni, we can almost formed an orchestra by ourselves. And most of us agreed to wear red.

So after calming and encouraging our juniors, we make our way into the hall for our free "concert". WGSCO is great, although there can be more improvement on some technical aspect - especially dizi. The music is wholesome and it definitely contains the spirit of teamwork and passion.

So I sat in for the entire session. Which means I listen to 9 different interpretation of the set piece - Song of Cicada. I almost become a cicada, okay lame joke aside. The nine school are Balestier Hill SS, WGS, Pasir Ris Crest SS, Jurong SS, ZhongHua SS, Catholic High, Evergreen SS, HwaChong Institution and lastly Sengkang SS.

Only Catholic High School impressed me as an entire Orchestra. It reminds me of River Valley High School CO during their peak in 2003. The music is mature and definitely filled with emotion. It was the only team that gave me the feeling of attending a concert rather than a judging. They got Gold with Honour. I wouldnt deny them of the credit.

ZhongHua got a Gold. Their interpretation of the set piece is almost similar to WGSCO, but their choice piece is superbly presented. Their percussion is great. They also gave a very great visual presentation. Their gold is quite an adequete award until Evergreen SS got GOLD With HONOUR !!!

I was like ""Did I hear it wrongly? or out it crudely "WTFreak!!!" . They have one of the worst interpretation of the set piece. Yup, the interpretation is unique and definitely more technically demanding but their presentation is a total FAILURE. The whole song fail to create a proper image for the audience, their interpretation is too chaotic! Their choice piece is quite nice, but too heavy on the strings instrument, it was almost like a string ensemble. They are okay, BUT DEFINITELY NOT BETTER THAN ZHONGHUA OR WGSCO.

Ok...enough said...every industry got a dark side of it.

Anyway,


Well done WGSCO
We are proud of your Achievement!

No comments: